Dentistry has come a long way since the dark ages. New technology and techniques have evolved over the course of time in the field of dentistry. Dentists will specialize in a variety of dental fields. Dental implant specialists are one of the more common specialists in dentistry.
Dental implants are primarily used to support dental prosthetics. Modern dental implants use osseointegration. This process involves the use of ceramics and titanium fusing tightly with the bone. There are many types of dental implants. These include individual tooth replacement, implant supported bridge and removable implant supported denture. In Orthodontics, Temporary Anchorage Devices (TAD) can assist in teeth movement by creating anchor points. The process or steps for dental implants is time consuming, tough and requires a fine touch.
Steps in placing an implant
· Soft tissue incision – An incision is made over the crest of bone. The edges of tissue, each referred to as a flap are pushed back to expose the bone.
· High Speed Drilling – This is done so at high speed. The drilling is done with precision to create pilot holes at regulated higher speeds. This is done so to prevent burning of the bone.
· Low Speed Drilling – Using wider drills, the pilot holes are expanded upon. A spray is used to cool the bone
· Placement – The implant screw is placed with a torque controlled drill at precise points
· Adaptation – The tissue is then adapted around the entire implant. It provides a thick band of healthy tissue around the healing abutment.
The implant now has to become permanently stable. The healing time is based on the density of the bone and number of implants splinted together.
Conducting any kind of specialized surgery is always going to be expensive. It’s important that the patient gets all the facts about dental costs, procedures etc.
For more information, please visit www.dentalcosts.com.au.